Wiston Avenue Play area
The Wiston Avenue play area reopened to the public on 10th July 2020, following a risk assessment. In order to comply with government guidelines and make sure everyone can use the area safely, a few simple rules have been put in place which are detailed on posters at the entrances to the park and near the toddler play area. Please follow these rules if you are using the park.
We appreciate people are keen to offer support in any way they can during the Coronavirus outbreak. We have seen a rise of groups on social media and in the community looking for ways to help. We would also like to direct those who are in need of assistance to the right places. We are able to offer the following advice:
- West Sussex County Council are co-ordinating volunteering across the district to effectively use the resources available and reach those in need. Details of their hubs can be found at https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure-recreation-and-community/supporting-local-communities/community-hub-covid-19/where there are forms for those seeking help and those offering it.
- Chichester District Council have created a new Community Guide, which includes key information, contacts, and guidance all in one place. The aim of the guide is to inform and assist people, and to ensure their safety as well as the safety of any people they may be supporting. http://www.chichester.gov.uk/helpyourneighbour There is also a summary flyer of help available
- Voluntary Action Arun and Chichester Another option is to contact www.vaac.org.ukwho can provide advice and guidance, and signpost people to volunteers in their area.
- Local Groups localised community efforts are appreciated, we encourage groups to look at the advice from Public Health England about staying at home (self-isolation) https://www.gov.uk/…/publica…/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance when offering support.
- St George’s Church has prepared and circulated a leaflet for Donnington residents, which includes detail on how to volunteer through them in the community. Please note that the church will not, unfortunately, be open as detailed in the leaflet as guidance has changed since the leaflet was printed.
Local businesses and services
Many local businesses are offering food or other deliveries. We have been notified of the following, however circumstances do change.
- https://the-blacksmiths.co.uk/ pub food delivered to your door. Free delivery within a 5 mile radius
- https://www.facebook.com/The-Country-Stores-Chichester-458923568267536/ Country Stores (now Premier Foods) in Stockbridge Road well stocked and offering delivery. Call 07973952708
- http://www.crwardbutchers.co.uk/ open 7am-3pm tuesday to saturday
- https://chichesterbid.co.uk/ a directory of businesses in Chichester offering services locally
- https://www.chichesterathome.co.uk/ a listings website for local businesses offering delivery of fresh produce, groceries, meals and plants.
West Sussex County Council
WSCC have produced various articles and newsletters which might be of help:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice email newsletter for residents who sign up. Registration: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKWSCC/subscriber/new?preferences=true
Help Guide: https://subscriberhelp.granicus.com/s/
Domestic Abuse Press Article:
West Sussex County Council Community Safety Facebook and Twitter:
Coronavirus Scams https://www.facebook.com/105224117606609/posts/167677888027898/?substory_index=0
Online Shopping Fraud https://www.facebook.com/105224117606609/posts/167229844739369/?substory_index=0
HMRC offering tax rebates https://www.facebook.com/105224117606609/posts/166549144807439/?substory_index=0
West Sussex County Council Trading Standards https://twitter.com/WSCCTS
National Trading Standards Scams Team – Friends Against Scams Postcard https://twitter.com/WSCCTS/status/1242487655977418752
Coronavirus Scam Postcard [pdf] 195KB
Carer support and mental wellbeing [doc] 24KB
Chichester District Council
Chichester District Council has a dedicated page with information sources and advice on its services during the Coronavirus outbreak. This includes information on benefits, council tax, bin collections, support for businesses, mental health and wellbeing and much more.
- Dispersing Groups/GatheringsSussex Police have issued guidance if you have concerns about groups of 2 or more people gathering, contrary to current advice.
Other ways you can help our community
- panic buying is unhelpful, please encourage people to buy only what they need.
• please do not stockpile items such as toilet roll, this prevents everyone being able to maintain basic hygiene.
• please support your local foodbank if you are able to.
- check in on elderly and vulnerable neighbours, many may not have access to the internet for latest updates.
- if any vulnerable residents are concerned about people knocking on their doors, please remind them they do not have to open the door to anyone if they don’t want to.
- only take up offers of help from people you know, or from organisations that you are aware of and ask to check any ID.
- if you are unwell, follow Public Health England advice to stay at home to avoid spreading germs.
• We have cancelled our meetings for the time being, but our clerk is working from home and can be contacted by email or phone.
Please visit our District and County Council websites for up to date information